Tummy Tuck surgery aims to remove excess stretched skin and underlying fat pad from the lower abdomen, whilst repairing any hernias and realigning the rectus muscles into their normal position, thus tightening the waistline.
Common consequences of childbearing are stretch marks, excess skin and excess lower abdominal fat pad. As well as that with multiple children the risk of front abdominal muscles drifting apart increases and can lead to hernias in some cases or significant bulging of abdominal contents through the midline of the abdomen.
Tummy Tuck procedure
The aim of an abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck surgery is to remove sagging skin and excess fat from the middle and lower abdomen and repair any separated muscles. The surgery can be very effective in reducing the bulge caused by excess skin, fat and loose abdominal muscles. The result is a flatter, firmer and more shapely abdomen.
While abdominoplasty can be a cosmetic procedure, it may also be partly a reconstructive procedure that is necessary to:
- Correct abdominal abnormalities caused by pregnancy, obesity, extensive weight loss, trauma, tumours or other disease
- Correct or relieve structural defects of the abdomen
- Improve function of abdominal muscles
- Create a more normal appearance of the abdomen
- Repair an abdominal hernia that has followed previous abdominal surgery
- Remove a large and distressing apron of fat, also called a “pannus”, that can cause chronic dermatitis, skin infection, difficulty in walking and difficulties with hygiene. The surgical removal of a pannus is called an “apronectomy”
It is a major operation, but is a well tolerated one and importantly the results are long lasting. The scars can be hidden in the bikini line and are not usually obvious. This surgery requires special surgical expertise to minimise potential complications and to achieve good aesthetic results.
Dr Michael Yunaev does not recommend this procedure for people who are:
- Not able to have an anaesthetic
- Prone to bleeding tendencies or have poor healing ability
- Too high risk of having surgical complications
Abdominoplasty is not a substitute for weight loss or as a replacement to an appropriate exercise program. Keep in mind that while the results of the procedure are technically permanent, the positive outcome can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight.
For that reason, you may be asked to consider delaying the procedure if you are:
- In the process of losing weight, or are going to lose a lot of weight
- Planning to get pregnant, as the result of the surgery may be lost
Abdominoplasty may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a non-smoker or have stopped smoking
- You are bothered by the feeling that your tummy is too large
Start a conversation with the team at the Breast & Body Clinic to find out how we can better support you. We offer Tummy Tuck Sydney in the eastern suburbs and inner west, as well as Tummy Tuck Bowral, at our Southern Highlands clinic. It’s never been easier to get the advice you need to make an informed choice. Our procedures are available at:
- Bella Vista
- Potts Point
Tummy Tuck Before and After examples:
All procedures performed by Dr Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, it’s difficult to answer general questions, such as: How much is a tummy tuck? as Surgical costs vary from operation to operation.
A precise surgical quote is given to each patient after consultation with Dr Yunaev, once the patient needs have been fully assessed. Based on this assessment, the patient will be provided with an individual and personalised surgical quote.
The below prices are just an estimate price range for a Abdominoplasty surgery:
Abdominoplasty surgery indicative price range: from $10,000 to $18,000
Additionally, some procedures may be eligible for a private health fund rebate. This can be discussed at a consultation, and will also vary from case to case. For more information, or to arrange an appointment, please contact us here.
DR MICHAEL YUNAEV
“Dr Michael Yunaev is an Oncoplastic Breast, General and Cosmetic Surgeon and is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign and Congenital Breast Disease and Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, as well as General Surgery.”
DR YUNAEV SPECIALISES IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES: