Liposuction, also known as lipectomy or lipoplasty, is a procedure that improves the body’s contours and proportion by removing excess fat deposits to slim and reshape specific areas of the body.
It has been around for a long time and is a very useful option for many corrective and aesthetic situations. It can be done as part of other operations such as a tummy tuck or breast reduction or to reshape a flap post-reconstruction or can be performed on its own targeting other common areas such as thighs, buttocks, abdomen, arms, neck and under the chin.
Often it is used as a fine-tuning procedure. It can be done as a day procedure depending on the amount of liposuction performed and generally is well tolerated with low complication rate.
Liposuction is invasive surgery that aims to improve the body’s contours and proportion by removing localised and disproportional deposits of fat. Liposuction can remove up to 5 litres of fat with relative safety during one session. Depending on the number of areas that require treatment, repeated treatments may be necessary.
Specific techniques of liposuction include:
- Suction Assisted Lipectomy (SAL) where fat is removed from the body using a vacuum suction. SAL may be dry, wet or tumescent depending on the volume of saline (salt solution) which is injected into the operation site before the procedure begins
- Ultrasonic Assisted Lipoplastry (UAL) uses ultrasonic energy to liquefy the fat cells before SAL is used to remove the liquefied fat and to smooth the edges of the treated areas
- Mechanical Assisted Lipoplasty (MAL) uses an oscillating shaver driven by a motor to shave the fat which is vacuumed away as used in the SAL and UAL methods
Dr Michael Yunaev may recommend this procedure for you if:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a non-smoker or have stopped smoking
- You have bulges that persist despite a healthy diet and exercise
Liposuction is most likely to be successful for healthy weight people with firm, elastic skin who have pockets of excess fat in certain areas. Although age is not a significant concern, older people may have less skin elasticity and may not achieve the same results as a younger person with tighter skin.
Before opting for liposuction, you must keep in mind that:
- Liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss
- If your skin is dimpled before the liposuction, it will probably still be dimpled afterward the procedure has been done
- If the ‘extra’ skin doesn’t contract (tighten) after liposuction, you may need a further procedure to remove excess skin
- You may not be able to undergo the procedure if you are unable to have an anaesthetic, if you are prone to bleeding tendencies or have poor healing ability or are too high risk of having surgical complications
To learn more, please start a conversation with the staff at our clinics, conveniently located in Sydney’s east and inner west, and the Southern Highlands.
- Potts Point
- Bella Vista
DR MICHAEL YUNAEV
“Dr Michael Yunaev is an Oncoplastic Breast, General and Cosmetic Surgeon and is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign and Congenital Breast Disease and Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, as well as General Surgery.”
DR YUNAEV SPECIALISES IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES: