This is a similar operation to the breast lift, however, not only is the excess skin envelope of the breast removed but also the breast tissue itself is excised to reduce the total volume of the breast.
This operation can be done with many different approaches; most importantly it involves different “pedicles”, which are bundles of blood vessels, which keep the breast alive. Various pedicles produce different results in aesthetic appearance.
At Breast & Body Clinic prefer the most reliable pedicles, which provide the best aesthetic results for our patients.
There are also several different incision/scar types. We tend to use Benelli incision, which is a circular incision around the areola, for small reductions only and minor nipple height adjustments. At the Breast & Body Clinic, we use a vertical scar and anchor type scar techniques for moderate to large reductions. The best results are achieved with the anchor type incision as it allow for more control of the nipple position, the lower part of the breast, which is often floppy and shapeless, and improved conical youthful breast shape.
This is an operation that many women are most grateful for as it provides instant relief to a lifetime of back, neck and shoulder pain as well as unwanted attention to their chest. Interestingly it is never too late to have this procedure, as the benefits are self-evident.
Nevertheless, Breast Reduction is a highly individualised procedure and may not be suitable for everyone. Dr Michael Yunaev will assess your condition and general health, and plan the treatment that is best suited to you.
Before you decide on Breast Reduction surgery, there are some important issues to keep in mind:
- Surgeons generally recommend waiting until breast development, childbirth and breastfeeding have stopped before undertaking breast reduction surgery
- Breast reduction surgery can interfere with some diagnostic procedures
- Ability to breastfeed following breast reduction surgery may be affected. Talk to your surgeon if you are planning to breastfeed a baby in the future
- Changes in the breasts during pregnancy, or significant weight loss or gain can alter the outcomes of previous breast reduction surgery
- Breast and nipple piercings can cause an infection
Smokers are at increased risk of complications. If you are serious about undergoing surgery, you should quit smoking
Breast reduction may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
- Your breasts limit your physical activity and exercise
- You experience back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
- You have regular indentations from bra straps that support heavy, pendulous breasts
- You have skin irritation beneath the breast crease
- Your breasts hang low and have stretched skin
- Your nipples rest below the breast crease when your breasts are unsupported
- You have enlarged areolas caused by stretched skin
Remember that the shape and size of your breasts before surgery will influence the surgical procedure and the outcome.
To discuss your options, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Breast & Body Clinic. We provide our services across Sydney and the Southern Highlands, maintaining locations in:
- Potts Point
- Bella Vista
Call us on (02) 9819 7449 and start a conversation about your body.
Breast Reduction Before and After examples:
DR MICHAEL YUNAEV
“Dr Michael Yunaev is an Oncoplastic Breast, General and Cosmetic Surgeon and is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign and Congenital Breast Disease and Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, as well as General Surgery.”
DR YUNAEV SPECIALISES IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES: