Breast asymmetry is normally a congenital breast issue and there are many causes that can lead to an asymmetric breast development. Dr Yunaev’s expert cosmetic artistry allows him to master techniques in correcting congenital breast issues including breast asymmetry.
Breast asymmetry surgery
It is normal and natural that breasts don’t look exactly the same. However, some patients experience a high degree of an uneven breast development. In some cases, this can greatly affect a person’s self-esteem. Breast asymmetry can be corrected with surgical procedures, and different techniques can be used to achieve a harmonious and balanced result.
To create symmetry between a patient’s breasts, Dr Yunaev can perform for example a breast augmentation on the smaller breast to achieve a matching size. In other cases, a breast reduction procedure might be used to create the symmetry. Some other patients might benefit from other techniques such as a breast lift, or a combination of other breast procedures; for example, breast implants of different sizes can be used to create symmetry.
There could be several skin incision patterns used for a breast asymmetry correction surgery, which will depend on each patient’s case of breast asymmetry. These can include a circular incision, a vertical scar and an anchor type incision. At Breast & Body Clinic we aim to minimise scarring on the breast, but primarily the choice of operation is dictated by the patient’s own biology and physique and the amount of tissue that needs to be removed, lifted or if a breast implant needs to be used to achieve an even and harmonious result.
Before you decide on a breast asymmetry correction surgery, there are some important issues to keep in mind:
- If breast implants are needed, patients need to be aware that they are not guaranteed to last a lifetime and future surgery may be required to replace one or both implants
- Smokers are at increased risk of complications from any surgery. If you are serious about undergoing cosmetic surgery, you should try to quit smoking
- Surgeons generally recommend waiting until breast development, child birth and breastfeeding have stopped before undertaking breast asymmetry correction surgery
- If a breast reduction technique will be used to correct the asymmetry, this can interfere with some diagnostic procedures
- Ability to breastfeed following breast asymmetry correction surgery may be affected. Talk to your surgeon if you are planning to breastfeed a baby in the future
- Changes in the breasts during pregnancy, or significant weight loss or gain can alter the outcomes of previous breast asymmetry correction surgery
- Breast and nipple piercings can cause an infection
A breast asymmetry correction surgery may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- Your breasts are considerably uneven
- One breast is lower than the other
Remember that the shape and size of your breasts before surgery will influence the surgical procedure and the outcome.
DR MICHAEL YUNAEV
“Dr Michael Yunaev is an Oncoplastic Breast, General and Cosmetic Surgeon and is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign and Congenital Breast Disease and Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, as well as General Surgery.”
DR YUNAEV SPECIALISES IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES: